Image Map

December 2, 2013

Chili




















One of my favorite traditions as a kid was that my mother always made chili the night of Halloween. My friends would come over and we would enjoy chili before we headed off trick or treating. Then we would come home eat more chili with cider & doughnuts. Since I have moved away I have always kept the tradition of making chili the week of Halloween. It's is too delicious not to share on the blog, so you can thank me later!

Ingredients:
1 lb. hamburger (lean to extra lean)
1 onion, chopped
1 can white northern beans, undrained
1 can red kidney beans, undrained
2 cans pinto beans, undrained
1 pkg. chili seasoning
1/3-1/2 bottle chili sauce (such as Heinz)*
1/2 an 8 oz. can tomato sauce (more if preferred)*
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Brown hamburger and onion together. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Taste and season accordingly. I recommend just having salt and pepper at the table for each individual to season themselves. Delicious with cornbread. 

*Notes: I use all 8 oz. of tomato sauce and probably 2/3 of the chili sauce. I taste as I go to make sure there is a nice vinegar tang to the chili. If not, add more chili sauce. Serve with cornbread.

No comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...