One of my very favorite parts of spring is being able to eat Sunday lunch out on my back patio. There's just something about being able to eat outside. Ya know? I love hearing the birds chirp, the sun shining on my face & spending a quite Sunday afternoon outdoors. With the weather warming up here in Utah the past few weeks I have been craving some of my favorite spring and summertime salads. This one is so light & fresh. I love how the flavors pop! Plus, it's super fast & easy.
Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans (or 1.5 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, julienned (about 1.5 cups) OR 1 large chopped and roasted sweet potato
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Fine grain sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- Dressing (recipe below)
- Sliced avocado (optional)
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 5 to 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (3-4 limes), to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- If using Sweet potato: rinse, peel, chop in cubes & lay in baking dish & drizzle olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until cooked. Cook quinoa according to package, let cool.
- In a large bowl, toss the quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, cilantro, carrots (or roasted sweet potato), green onions & avocado.
- Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl or jar. Adjust to taste if desired. Pour onto salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.